Sunday, June 20, 2010

Eagles – Rediscovering the fountain of youth

On June 10th, I went for a concert of the “Eagles” at the New Meadowland Stadium in New Jersey. Yes, the Eagles are still alive. And yes, they can play and sing.

I went for the concert with my brother Frank, and his friends Hanit and Klaus. Getting there was a nightmare. We were scheduled to get there at 6. But finally got there at 8. We missed the first act by Kieth Urban, but managed to get the final part of the Dixie Chicks. And they were real good.

Finally at around 9, the Eagles came on. Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh, Timothy Schmit and Don Henley. And they were really, really good. They were 1 of the leading bands, whose music we grew up with, including the ever popular, “Hotel California”. They sang all of their popular numbers, including “One of these nights”, “Tequila Sunrise”, and many others. They ended with their classic “Desperado”.

At this concert, I discovered a very interesting aspect of life. The fountain of youth. Since it was the Eagles group, the crowd was on the older side. Being on the wrong side of 40, qualifies me as old, but in this crowd, I qualified as young. Luckily for me, Klaus too happened to be older than me. And I was feeling young again. This was strange. At most concerts, the one and a half that I’ve gone to, I was feeling old, even though I was much younger then, and here I was feeling good. And enjoying the concert. And life.

I started thinking about this strange phenomenon. What exactly is young ? And what’s old ? I guess its all in the mind. We are what we believe. And what we believe is driven by our surroundings.

So all you need to do to rediscover the fountain of youth is to drink at the fountain of youth. Do fun stuff with people you can have fun with. Like they say, Life’s short, have an affair. But unlike Ashley Madison recommends, affairs need not always be of the physical variety. And I guess the most enjoyable affairs are with the things you love most.

So tomorrow I set off on taking my first golf lesson. And if I’m difficult to get hold of, that’s because I’m having a few new affairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment