Sunday, November 6, 2011

Fitness - Key to Health

Yesterday the enthusiastic youngsters at Web Access organized a cricket session at the Purandhare Ground at Dadar, in Central Mumbai.

You reached the ground after navigating through one of the most crowded areas of Mumbai, Dadar. And suddenly there's this huge open ground, surrounded by greenery, grass, trees, plants, ... It takes your breath away and you find it difficult to believe that this huge open space is there in the heart of the city.

I was part of the Yellow team (differentiated by our T-Shirts). We were first up to field. Within a couple of overs of fielding, I realized exactly how unfit I was. Given an over to bowl, confirmed my state of fitness. Managed to get 2 wickets and give away just 4 runs, if you conveniently ignore the 4 wides. At the end of the over, I was out of breath. And this was our first match.

At the end of 6 hours, with aching hands and legs, I was just happy that it was all over. We came in 2nd, which wasn't that great considering that there were only 3 teams. On the way back, I reflected, a nice way to reduce the aching bones, on how come I was so unfit. There had to be some good reasons. Translated that means, there must be someone I could blame. Unlike most other things, its difficult to find someone else responsible. I mean who could you find fault for you not exercising and not eating all the right foods.


One of the mysteries of life, all delicious and irresistible food is unhealthy and all healthly food is neither delicious nor irresistable. Why couldn't it be the other way around. We would have been the healthiest species on Earth as opposed to the unhealthiest. There we go, its nature's fault. For designing our bodies to be unable to breakdown food efficiently and effectively.

There is a big business opportunity waiting for the inventor of creating tasty and irresistible food, that is also very healthy. Whilst that problem is being solved, I'll need to figure out a way to become fit again. And since only deadlines work, my deadline is in the next 6 months.

So how will I know I'm fit. I guess if I can run a half marathon, it would mean that I'm reasonably fit. Unfortunately I didn't make it to the Mumbai half marathon, which is selection by lottery, this year either. So I'll just need to run it on my own. 26 kms in under 3 hours. Although I've given myself 6 months, lets see if I can do it in 4. That way, I have 2 additional months, in case everything does not go according to plan.


Am headed to San Francisco later tonight, and my fitness freak brother Don, is likely to make me work and walk for the privilege of staying with him. Luckily for both of us, its for just 3 days. So exercising would have to become part of my daily routine. Maybe a morning run. And equally important would be my diet. I think I'll try a light dinner plan. Soups, vegetables, fruits. If all of this doesn't work, then I'm in trouble anyway.

The best of intentions need to be given a good beginning. And so, I'll defer the start of this ambitious plan to when I return from my US trip. There's no point in not enjoying the culinary offerings of the world's melting pot, the US and New York. In any case, I need to drop 10's of kilos, so whats a couple of kilos more ?

No comments:

Post a Comment