Sunday, January 13, 2013

American Ethics & Professionalism

We always hear about the level of professionalism in the US. And how the rest of the world should learn about work ethics from the greatest country in the world.


In the few months that I've been here, I've been terribly disappointed. And that's an understatement. Let me give 3 specific examples.


Lying Landlord
We rented an office in Connecticut. Initially we signed a month by month lease which was convenient to us and the landlord. After a couple of months, once we knew that the place worked for us, we went to the landlord and asked if we could be there for a year. We were reassured that we could be there as long as we wanted. We trusted the landlord and did not insist on a written commitment. 2 weeks later we were served a 1 months notice. The landlord was well within his legal rights since our written agreement was month by month. Morally and ethically, he was a lying, opportunistic fraud.


Greedy Estate Agent
I was looking for a home and you have to engage a real estate agent to be able to view any potential place you want to evaluate. Using a friends recommendation I got in touch with someone who further recommended someone else. My real estate agent seemed nice enough and we saw a couple of places. Until I got a call early one morning to go see an amazing place. She talked her way and wanted me to make an offer since it was a great deal and there were 4 other offers. Not surprisingly she wanted me to make an offer that was at the lsit price, even though the market average for closed deals was 95% of list price. Luckily we didn't like it and declined. 6 months later that great deal is still on the market. I found a place I liked. Once again I was given to understand that there were 2 other offers and we should go in at list price. I decided to go in at 95%. The next day I get it and also realized that the other offers were a figment of the real estate agents imagination to pressurize me to make the deal and ensure her commission.


Capricious Seller
The offer was accepted and the various activities that happen before the closing began. I had a signed agreement with the seller. And every 2 days the sellers agent would come up with one of the clauses they wanted changed. We would refuse. One week later they would accept the original, till a few days later a brand new clause would be unacceptable. And once again we would not agree. This went on for more than a month and an investment of a few thousand dollars, till we just tired of the games and walked away.

It seems like the quality of people, professional or otherwise is globally similar. There are a bunch of crooks and a bunch of nice people. What differentiates the unprofessional and unethical persons in countries like the US is the law, or more accurately the fear of the law. The law can be effective and this reduces how crooked crooks can be. They walk the line but are mostly fearful of crossing it.


So I guess, bottom line is that we in India need to stop worrying about the moral fiber or genetic makeup we have and figure out ways in which we can make the law effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment