Sunday, October 5, 2014

Be Nice

A few weeks ago I received an e-mail from a close friend's father. It was a 1 line mail, "I would like to meet you". He lives in Delhi. I'm currently based in the US and live in Mumbai.


Last week I was on a work trip to Mumbai. I had planned to visit my friends Dad in Delhi over the weekend. And I made the trip last Sunday. I flew into Delhi in the morning, met him for a few hours and then headed back to the airport. As it turned out my flight back was delayed and U spent more time at the airport than the rest of the trip, but that's an entirely different story.


What was interesting was that no one seemed to believe that I was going to Delhi to meet a friends Dad. Everyone was convinced that I had some other work or meeting or agenda in Delhi. Anil, my friends brother put it in an interesting way, "How can anyone fly to another city to meet a friends dad based on a 1 line email. I wouldn't do it."


I thought about it and reached the exact opposite conclusion. Why wouldn't someone spend a day to fulfill a wish of someone who they;re close to, especially when the real cost is almost nothing. I guess its how you look at it.


In my view, being nice to whoever you can, whenever you can is always a great idea. Life has a way of coming a full circle. I've found that on many occasions the people we've been super nice to may not only not reciprocate, but sometimes be super nasty and try and harm us. And this leads several people to stop being nice or at the very least be selective about their niceness.



The way I look at it is that whilst this may be true, there are several occasions when strangers do nice things for us or amazing things just happen. I have no idea how, but its happened to me multiple times. So I'm going to continue being nice. Brings a smile to many people. Including me.

No comments:

Post a Comment