Sunday, June 11, 2017

It's more than a game... It's Baseball!

On Friday my cousin Vanitha invited Freia and me to a baseball game at Yankee's stadium. Yes, the iconic stadium that I had not seen in the last 100 years but had made my first visit last month for Freia's graduation. Only this time it was for watching the Yankees take on the Baltimore Orioles.


I had seen a little bit of Baseball on TV and had heard friends and colleagues discuss it. But had never really seen a game at a Ball Park. Yes! That's what a baseball field is called and I assume that's where the term "Ballpark it" comes from.

The buildup was huge. Vanitha told us that she had managed to get Box seats, and it included free food and drinks and ... I was excited. Vanitha, her son Ryan, Freia and I got there just before the start of the game at 7.30. We had great seats. Just 30 rows from the field and just behind the visitors area. They weren't exactly box seats, but who cares, they were Free.


And before the game, we decided to go get some of that awesome, amazing, free food. We got into the MVP Club that we had access to and realized that the free part was only popcorn and peanuts and sodas. Everything else including the hot dogs were paid for. I guess you can't go to a baseball game and not get hot dogs. So we got hot dogs.


And settled down to watch an exciting game. As Freia said, "It seems a little slow, unlike cricket where the runs keep piling up". Here at the end of the 1sts innings the score was 0-0. Luckily that quickly changed and by the end of the game the Yankees won 8-2.

I didn't know about baseball and felt that I should at least understand the game. Okay, a little bit. And on my ride to the stadium I quizzed my brother Frank about the game. He answered my questions and I learnt a little bit. For those who don't have knowledgeable siblings or friends who are willing to teach you about baseball, there's always YouTube. And here's my favorite. Probably because the author is like me, someone who comes from a cricket playing country.

It's more than a game... It's Baseball!



And for those like Freia who want to not spend more than a few minutes, here's Aja.

Ask Aja: Baseball 101

No comments:

Post a Comment