Sunday, September 10, 2017

The Ultmate in Flight Tracking : FlightRadar24

Until recently, I used websites such as FlightStats  and FlightAware to track incoming flights when I had to pick someone up or to see if my flights were likely to be on time, by checking on the incoming aircraft.

They were pretty good though in some cases, I would need to refer to the relevant airport site for the most updated information. And then it all changed.

My colleague Claudian mentioned a site called Flight Radar 24. He said it was pretty good and that it tracked flights in real time. I decided to check it out. And I was blown away.


This site was tracking flights all over the world in real time. I tested it with flights that I could see landing and taking off. And the data was on the dot. I became a fan. And in addition to using it for tracking flights, I sometimes even used it to see airport traffic and delays and ... It was fascinating. It even had real time 3-D simulated scenes.


Learning that it was started by 2  Swedish aviation geeks as a hobby project in 2006 to become one of the most accurate provider of real time data that even airlines use, as well as companies like Boeing and Airbus defies imagination.


A Wall Street Journal review of FlightRadar24 is an eye opener.

Wall Street Journal
Published on Aug 26, 2015

The story of Flightradar24: how two guys in Stockholm can track flights around the world but big air traffic organizations and airlines still can’t. WSJ's "Middle Seat" columnist Scott McCartney joins Lunch Break.



For aviation enthusiasts curious to know how it works, check this out.
How it works
https://www.flightradar24.com/how-it-works

And ABC News has an excellent article featuring the founders Robertsson and Lindahl.
An Inside Look at Flightradar24, the Team Watching Every Airplane in the Sky

No comments:

Post a Comment