Sunday, January 20, 2019

I Came. I Ran. I Finished.

Finally the day I hope to run the half marathon at the Mumbai Marathon event has come. The starting time for the event is 5.30 a.m and we have to be at the venue 60 minutes before the flag off. This meant I had to leave home around 4 am.

Ad for the Mumbai Marathon

In preparing for the marathon, I had made a list of shorter practice runs I wanted to do before the race day. I had several of them to do, when I landed in India a week before the run. My mentors for the race, aka "Have run the race before", Claudian and Kurund advised me to take it easy. They specifically said, don't do any runs. As always, I heard them and their advise made sense. I was also traveling quite a bit. Nevertheless, I stupidly ignored them and went for the runs. The first one was of 5 kms and my legs were screaming, Stop. I ignored them and the next day went for a 10 km run. I barely made it. It was 4 days to race day and I went for a 5 km run again. This time my legs thought enough is enough and completely stopped functioning. I was now having difficulty walking. Claudian noticed and checked if I was okay. I put on my brightest Smile limped faster and sad, Yes, of course.


I was worried. Being fully fit, I was unsure. In an attempt to do q quick recovery, I liberally used Volini and Ice Heat, creams recommended after the race. The biggest question running through my mind was, "What if I couldn't finish ?".

The Marathon Track View

That night, I had a very fitful sleep. I woke up at 3 and tossed and turned until 3.30. Got ready and headed out. Took an Uber to the venue. The roads near the venue were closed and had to get off several kilometers away. There were buses arranged to get to the venue from the drop off points.

The venue was packed with tens of thousands of people. I later learnt that the Mumbai Marathon had 44,000 people who ran and of that around 13,000 people were running the half marathon.


The people running were of all groups. Young men and women. Middle aged men and women. Old men and women. Of all sizes and fitness levels. I was amazed that so many people were out there. And many of them were on their 2nd, 3rd and even 10th run. My new concern, was making a fool of myself in front of all these people. I suspect many of them had the same thoughts.

The race began and all of us were walking in a large group toward the start line. It felt like being in crowded train station. As soon as we reached the start line, everyone started running or more accurately jogging as did I. I was panting within the first few minutes. And still had over 21 kms to go.

I kept moving, jogging for 4 minutes, walking for 2 and telling myself, all I had to do was get to the finish line for the first and last time. The initial part of the track was over the Bandra Sea Link. The scenes were phenomenal. However, I was too busy trying to make it. Time passed slowly.


And every-time I felt like giving up, I would see an unfit man or woman who were jogging and sometimes walking with a look of determination. And that would inspire me to go for just 1 more kilometer. Slowly the kilometers I finished started adding up and the distance to go, kept reducing.

Along the way 1000's of people had lined up with food, chocolates and words of inspiration. Some were funny and made me smile. Unfortunately, by the time I finished, I had forgotten all of them. A big shout-out and Thank You to the thousands of Mumbaikars who  came out on the streets early morning and inspired us with their words, deeds and signs.

At 2 kms to go, I was done. And told myself that I couldn't give up now. And so even more slowly I moved forward. A combination of walking, jogging and shuffling ahead. I could see the finish line ahead. And put in my final reserve to go across it. I was done.

And I suddenly got greedy. Did I achieve my Satisfactory target of under 3 hours or Happy Target of 2:45. The Run-keeper software like me had stopped working with 2 kms to go. I looked at my watch and did some math. It seems like I completed the race around 2:40. I was hoping that my math wasn't too off and my final time would be under 2:45. That would be a dream.

At the cooling off area, I received the medal and met my mentors Claudian and Kurund. Claudian who keeps track of everything confirmed that my timing was around 2:38. I was exhilarated. Just 2 hours ago, I was thinking of 'my last race'. I was already thinking of  next years half marathon. And how unlike this time, I'll be prepared. Which giving my track record is unlikely. :(

Claudian


Kurund

and me

I got home and the first thing I did was marked as "Completed", yet another item from my bucket list.


No comments:

Post a Comment