Sunday, June 7, 2020

Black Lives Matter!

As a person of color, I've experienced racism in almost each of the 50+ countries I've visited. However, these have mostly been subtle and have not impacted me in any meaningful way. I guess this is also because I've been fortunate to have been privileged. First as an Officer in the Merchant Navy and then as part of Management in an IT company.

While I thought I understood Racism, it was not until a few years ago when the Black Lives Matter movement started that I began to realize that I did not at all understand it. Neither the acts. Or their impact.

A few years ago, Freia tried to explain it to me. And instead of listening, I tried to explain and effectively dilute the issue, in my mind.


It's only in the last 2 weeks, that I've come to realize how wrong I was. And how much of a systemic issue this is. Especially for those who in addition are also economically challenged.

And this week there were peace and protest marches in all 50 States. Yes! For the first time ever all 50 States agreed on something. And that was that "Black Lives Matter"

In addition to the chilling videos of the death of George Floyd, Trevor Noah's monologue on the subject hit home. And Hard.

George Floyd, Minneapolis Protests, Ahmaud Arbery & Amy Cooper
The Daily Social Distancing Show
Trevor Noah



I have subsequently tried and will continue to get a better perspective as well as figure out ways in which I can help, even if in small ways. I believe that if enough of us acknowledge the issue and set out to make a difference, it will make a DIFFERENCE!

Like many organizations that have acknowledged the issue, TED too has created a playlist of Talks. Please do take time out and watch them.

https://www.ted.com/playlists/250/talks_to_help_you_understand_r




No comments:

Post a Comment