Sunday, September 4, 2011

Little things make a big difference

Sept. 2 is the day when I celebrate my birthday. It’s never been a major event. Its normally just another day. And so I went to office, like any other day. And was hard at work, like any other day. Checked my mails. And in the digital world, every bank, mutual find, insurance and whoever else had my data sent a e-mail card. All impersonal, programmed to automatically send these. Nevertheless, it did feel nice that at least the digital world knew that it was my birthday.

Got a few “Happy Birthday’s” on Spark, our internal messaging system.  Just as I was beginning to feel good, that so many people knew and remembered, one of them unkindly pointed out that our login system shows the days birthday. One more “Thank You” to the digital world.

And then there was a commotion outside my cabin. I peeped out and saw a lot of people there. They were colleagues and sat in an office down the hallway. Since our Admin Manager sits in this office, I assumed that they had come to see him, and went back to work. Felt a little bad, that none of them realized it was my birthday and had walked in and wished me.

That’s when Pravina came in and called me out. They had got a beautiful birthday cake. And all of them sang “Happy Birthday” whilst I cut it. They also gave me a beautiful bouquet of flowers, which is as fresh today. I thanked each of them for having taken all the trouble.


What’s surprising is how I felt. This small but beautiful and meaningful gesture meant more than any gift anyone could have given. It was amazing how good I felt. It was touching. And that’s when I began to wonder.

All of us love it when people do these little things. Yes, how often do we do it ? I’m now more than ever conscious about how these little gestures can mean so much. And hope that I’ll be able to bring a smile to many faces. My target – At least 1 a week until my next birthday.

And thanks Pravina and all of the others involved (too scared to take names, in case I miss any), for your gesture. Every year, I become older. This year hopefully, I’ve gotten a little wiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment