Sunday, December 18, 2011

What a Change - Passport in 3 days

Traditionally all of us Indians are used to criticizing the authorities and blaming the Government for the lack of infrastructure, inefficiency, incompetence and so on and so forth.


Earlier this week, on Friday, I had occasion to experience the awesome changes that have taken place not once, but twice. I think that it’s high time we learnt to appreciate the good things that are happening all around us. This is my attempt.

The Passport application required to be filled online and you had to take an appointment.
https://passport.gov.in/pms/Information.jsp

I took an appointment for Friday at 10.30. I reached the passport office around 15 minutes early. There was a waiting line for the 10.30 appointments and at exactly 10.30 we were allowed to go in. There was an option for getting a Tatkal (Speedy) passport in a few days or the regular process that would take around 8 to 12 weeks. I had opted for the Tatkal scheme, which required you to pay Rs. 1500 extra.

There was just 1 person ahead of me. She completed her process in a few minutes and mine too was completed in a few minutes. Payment took another couple of minutes.

Earlier the Tatkal application form needed a Letter of Verification from a Senior Officer in the Government. This was a difficult task, as most of us do not know Senior Officials in the Government. Now all you require is 3 documents, from a list of 14 documents. I had my Election ID, my PAN card, and a Bank Passbook. You also need to have a simple affidavit, a format of which is given on the site. Basically, all you need to do is follow the simple instructions on the website, and you should be able o get a passport easily and without any hassles.
http://passport.gov.in/cpv/TatkalScheme.htm

Since I wanted to apply for my daughters passport (who was not eligible for Tatkal), I then stood in the line for the regular passport. Here there were around 15 persons ahead of me. In around an hour, it was my turn and here too, the officer at the counter was quick and efficient. She checked the papers which seemed to be in order, and had completed the formalities in a few minutes. The payment needed to be made in another line, which too was short and did not take much time. Before 12, I had successfully completed the application process and was to receive my passport, 4 business days later, on Wednesday.


Whilst the experience with the passport authorities and officials was very pleasant, the experience with my fellow applicants was far from good. Many were trying several things to bypass the lines and rules, even though they were so well organized. A very fashionably dressed lady with an appointment for 12.00 was trying to bully her way in. A school teacher and her husband were standing in two different lines together and jumping from one to the other, delaying everybody and creating a nuisance. A fat, rich couple were elbowing their way ahead, breaking the lines, using their children. Interestingly, in all of these cases, where the passport office staff were present, they handled them politely but firmly and got them back to where they belonged.

The authorities have done their bit and made the process multiple times better than before. They’ve changed. When will we ?

p.s.: I received my passport on Tuesday, 1 day before the promised delivery date.

No comments:

Post a Comment