Sunday, November 18, 2012

10 things I miss most about Mumbai

Its now been 3 months since I've moved to the US. And I miss India. And this begs the question ? What exactly do I miss. So like all good things I decided to list the 10 things I miss most.

10. Taxis & Rickshaws
In Mumbai whenever I felt like not driving, which was pretty much most of the time, I just took a taxi or a rickshaw. Here the cost and availability does not leave that as an option.

9. Crowds
Mumbai is very crowded. And you are always amongst lots of people no matter where you are. Not only are there almost no people on the roads, even in public paces like malls, the crowds are relatively limited.

8. Movies
Bollywood entertains. And I was thoroughly entertained. I enjoyed movies. And seeing them in theaters. Here if I want to enjoy Bollywood, I need to buy DVD's, and that's just not as much fun.

7. Noise
Mumbai is noisy. And when you've lived in Mumbai it becomes part of you. Quiet and silence is not something you're comfortable with. And in my case, I'm actually missing the noise.

6. Night life
You could walk around at midnight and the people around would make it seem like its evening. An early dinner would mean dinner after 9. Here an early dinner is dinner at 4, and normal is 7. Most places close by 7 or 8. Even New York pales in comparison to Amchi Mumbai.

5. Weather
Mumbai is warm, sometimes even hot. And whilst you sweat a little, I felt comfortable. The cold here is something I'm not used to and definitely not comfortable. And coming from Mumbai, it makes me miss Mumbai even more.

4. Food
Indian cuisine is so good. Especially for us. And whilst Indian food is freely available, miss it on a regular basis. My mouths watering just writing and thinking about it, so lets move on.

3. My friends
Friends make life wonderful. Speaking with them. Meeting them. Going out with them. And I miss all of it. And I miss each of them.We speak often and they've threatened to visit soon. Hopefully they'll carry out their threats.

2. The Office
What I enjoyed most was going to office. And interacting with my colleagues. They made me smile. And laugh. Whilst I still work with them, the personal interaction is missing. I guess getting the smiles and laughs is that much more difficult. And makes work a little less enjoyable.

1. My wife and daughter
The only thing I enjoyed more than work was the time I spent with Ivy and Freia. And being far away I miss them. Yes, even the disagreements, since that's what made life even more exciting and interesting.

None of the above means I regret the decision to be here. It has several positives and even the above are not negatives. Its the things I miss, and in life every time you make a change there are bound to be things that you miss and new things that you start liking and finally loving. And there are several things about here that I like and a few that I've already started loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment