Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sarah Kay - A Celebrity with a Heart

A few weeks ago my daughter Freia who celebrated her birthday on the 21st asked me if she could take her friends to meet her favorite person, a spoken word poet named Sarah Kay. In a rare coincidence she was going to be performing free in Mumbai on that day. How much better could life get ?

I readily agreed although at that point I neither knew what spoken word poetry was or who Sarah Kay was.


An 18th birthday is a milestone when a child becomes an adult. Unfortunately on this momentous day I was unable to be with her. And so decided to try and make her day. In my stupidity I thought that I should write to Sarah Kay and request her to say Happy Birthday Freia during her show. I looked up her website and wrote her a short note explaining the situation with my request.

And then I looked her up. And her work. I had a realization. She was terrific. The art was amazing. How could I have not known about this form of art which seemed to be the most natural form of art that could be. More relatable than any of the recognized forms of fine art such as literature or painting or ...

And I realized what a stupid thing I had done. Writing her and expecting something to happen. It was like writing to a Hollywood Star and expecting something to happen. You have to be stupid or completely out of your mind and in all probability, both.


On the 21st when I called to wish Freia, she told me, "Thank you for my amazing gift". I froze in horror. Oh my God! Its my daughter's 18th birthday and I had forgotten to get her a gift. And this sweet child had matured into a sarcastic adult and was letting me know, she was not pleased.

A moment later, she continued. When did you write to Sarah Kay ? She wished me in front of the whole crowd. And said nice things. And met me later., And signed my book. And ... I smiled in relief. And in my all knowing tone said, "That's what Dad's are for ? To shock and awe".

And said a silent prayer, "Thank You Sarah". You're not only the most terrific spoken word performer, you are the nicest human being. You took time out to step down from your celebrity status and made a young lady's day, and year and ..." And her spoken word partner Phil is equally terrific.


And for all of you who haven't heard of spoken word poetry, you life is incomplete till you check it out. And don't miss her TED talk.
http://www.ted.com/talks/sarah_kay_if_i_should_have_a_daughter.html

And do check out her website
http://www.kaysarahsera.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment