Sunday, September 29, 2013

gofundme

A few days ago, I got a mail from Freia. Something to the effect that "I've helped out, you should too". And below was a link.

http://www.gofundme.com/4iik84?utm_campaign=Emails&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email


I was curious enough to check it out. The link took me to the page of Katherine Landis, a freshman at NYU , like Freia. And her story was amazing. I was immediately encourage to and did my bit.

What stuck me was the platform, gofundme. A great idea. And like most great ideas, something simple that allowed a person in need to petition their case to their family and friends and through them to a larger social network. It was Crowd-funding at its best.


Going through the various cases,like every medium several were frivolous. But whats great about these platforms, is that their merit is decided by the donor. The probability of undeserving cases getting funded is not high and more important the probability of deserving cases like Katherine getting funded is very high.

And sure enough, Katherine did get fully funded in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment