Sunday, October 13, 2013

ZocDoc

Ever since my walk in the park, I've been meaning to visit a doctor. Mainly because there is the concept of Primary Care Physician and I didn't have one. A couple of weeks ago, I finally decided that I should go meet a Primary Care Physician, before something goes wrong.


I did what we normally do when we want a new trustworthy provider. Ask your colleagues and friends. They gave a few suggestions, I should check out. In most cases, it was their family physician. Unfortunately for me when I checked them out, they were either too far, or not taking new patients, or the earliest appointment was in a couple of months or ...

And so I did the next thing we do when we want to find something. Search for it n the Net. And whilst Google gave the names and addresses of a few providers, I came across a site called ZocDoc, which seemed to do exactly what I wanted. And so I registered. And searched for doctors in my area.


I made an appointment to meet a doctor in Norwalk close to where I work after a couple of days. I got an automated mail saying the appointment would be confirmed by the doctors office. The next day I received a voicemail saying I needed to call in to give my insurance details and confirm the appointment. I called in and the clinic's coordinator wanted to know what my illness was. As mentioned in the ZocDoc form, I said I just wanted a General Consultation in order to have a Primary care Physician and I had no ailments. She said in that case the doctor did not have time to see me. The earliest appointment available would be after 2 months. She claimed that they only do a few a month. This was weird and strange. The only reason could be is that ailing patients revenue / minute is greater than people who aren't well. No wonder the cost of treatment and medical premiums in the US are astronomical.


I wasn't happy with the doctor or with ZocDoc. And then I got a call from ZocDoc. They wanted to know what happened, were apologetic and send me a $10 Amazon Gift Card. The person who I spoke with was a real person, intelligent and who knew her stuff. So either I got lucky or they have an amazing back office operation. This interaction encouraged me to give ZocDoc 1 more try.

I found another doctor in Westport. And made an appointment. This time the appointment was confirmed almost immediately. I went in, met the doctor who seemed to be as good in person as his reviews suggested. I came away happy at having finally got my very own personal Primary Care Physician. And that was not the end.


I received a mail the next day, with a request to give feedback on the interaction with the doctor. What made it even more interesting was that it was a simple format that allowed the feedback to be given in the email itself with 3 simple clicks. And thus ensuring that the feedback percentage and thereby the effectiveness of the system was very high.

No comments:

Post a Comment