Sunday, February 16, 2014

20th Anniversary


February 13, 1994 is when the hole in my heart became whole. This year we were celebrating 2 decades of awesome happiness. Since I was in the US with Reia, and Freia was in college at NYU, Ivy was going to be alone on the occasion.


A few days before the event, a thought popped up. What if I could fly over and surprise Ivy. And before I realized, my brain spewed out the thought in the presence of Reia and Freia. And that started a chain of events.I had a zillion reasons why it would not be practical.

From expensive tickets, to who will look after Reia, to is it worth it for just a day, ...

That's when Reia said, "Dad, just do it", and Freia ensured it happened by pointing out something that had completely eluded me. "Dad, in times to come, you'll have no memory of the cost of the ticket or who looked after Reia or any of the other zillion issues you think are issues. But Mom and you will remember that you flew half way around the world to spend your 20th anniversary together.


Its interesting how everything fell in place and I made the trip. No one knew. And as I rang the bell at 7 p.m. on the 13th, Ivy opened the door, and her face lit up. And made everything worth while.


The next 2 days were amongst the most memorable days of our lives. And whilst I could go on, the best things in life are those that remain unsaid. Except of course a BIG Thank You. To Reia and Freia.

No comments:

Post a Comment