Sunday, June 19, 2016

Teachers: We owe them

Yesterday on my flight from Newark to Mumbai, I was trying to find a movie to see. There were 100+ choices. Yet I couldn't find one that I wanted to see. I'd either seen the good ones and the others didn't seem appealing.


On my 3rd pass of going through the choices, I saw a familiar face on the poster. It was of Juhi Chawla, one of favorite Hindi actor. And the movie was Chalk and Duster. It had a few big name stars in addition to Juhi Chawla, Shabana Azmi and Girish Karnad. The odd thing was that I had never heard of this movie earlier.

I started watching it and it was quite okay. And definitely worth watching. Especially if you're in a plane at 37,000 feet and no where else to go. The story was about a school and how its teachers were harassed by its evil principal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalk_n_Duster


What stood out to me was the underlying theme of teachers. And how they form the most noble profession. And yet are undervalued, underestimated, underpaid, under... Its ironic that students taught by these teachers earn a much lager pay packet, not to mention the phenomenal benefits and perks.


As individuals we may not be able to bring change in the way the teaching profession is valued. However we can do the one thing that will make it worth their while. Thank them for all they've done. I plan to try and locate all those from whom I've learnt. At school. At college. And at work. And tell them, "Thank You. I appreciate everything you've done." I hope you do too.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment