Sunday, March 5, 2017

The Butterfly - An Amazing Experience

Last week I stayed at the Butterfly on Morrison in Hong Kong. It was a small boutique hotel and the primary reason I booked it was that it had great ratings and was cost effective.


I booked the hotel using Hotels.com. I tried several sites and finally settled on hotels.com as it seemed to be offering the best value-for-money deals. Trivago was also extremely helpful in being able to do the comparison of the various hotels being offered by the various sites.


I checked in at the hotel. They gave me a portable 4G device which I had booked as an extra with the room. The cost per day was under US$ 3. The check in was quick and efficient. Reia said the desk manager who checked us in said there was a cell phone in the room that we could use and take with us. I told her she was dreaming.

As was the review by almost all travelers to Hong Kong the room itself was super small. And there on the table was a cell phone. Reia looked at me and couldn't stop laughing. And I couldn't stop being amazed. What hotel gives you a cell phone with unlimited local calls and data. I was already a huge fan of the hotel. And had barely spent 5 minutes in it.


The room was comfortable and there were all the trappings you'd expect in a luxury hotel. As an example, the bed had a lovely pillow decor and 5 cloth butterflies on it. Made it look super nice and super cool. The decor as well as the feel was that of a modern place with pieces of art integrated with simple and extremely clever design. It was a while since a hotel wasn't fancy yet extremely impressive.


Monday night I requested a shuttle to the airport and the front-desk were helpful and made the necessary reservations. Tuesday morning, I came down to check out. And found that the attention to details hadn't yet ended. I was given a checklist to go through, which had among other things, "Check your wallet, phone, passport". And the big surprise, "Would you like to weigh your bags". Although I didn't need weighing, I wanted to see if it was a piece of paper or they were equipped. I was handed a luggage weighing scale.

And the finale got even better. The shuttle would pick me up at the corner. The gentleman at the front desk accompanied me, chatting all the while and remained till I was  comfortably seated in the shuttle.

For want of more powerful words, "Thank You Butterfly. You made an ordinary trip, Memorable".


p.s.: I learnt that most hotels offer the cell phone. Its a brand called Talky and I suspect this will become standard in a few years all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment