Sunday, May 6, 2018

Abacus Lessons from a 9 yr old

Last Sunday my nephew Aaron who is all of 9 years old visited us. He spent the first 2 hours in telling me all about the several Apple products. The models, the features, the release years, ...

I was intrigued. How could a 9 year old know all of this. And what else does he know. As it turns out a lot. In addition to knowing a lot about music, the theory of music and was a good piano player. And he could do multiple math problem in his mind. Instantaneously. I was in awe. And checked with his parents how he managed the Math.


They told me that he had attended Abacus Classes for around a year. The classes he attended were ICMAS and this is what they say.

"
We Abacus brain Study Pvt Ltd, an ISO 9000:2001 Certified Company engaged in Training and Teaching of ABACUS Education under the brand name of ICMAS for the age group children of 4-14years to enhance their mental abilities which creates and develops innovative and well researched time tested and result oriented concepts and educational products for schools, colleges and corporates .ours is a well recognized company with more than 3000 centers in 18 states across the nation. We are professionals in the field of training and development with result oriented programs full of real life practice sessions, allowing participants to take the maximum benefit in the minimum time.
"
http://www.icmas.info/about_us


One of the items on my bucket list was to learn the Abacus. And I asked my new genius friend if he would teach me. He readily agreed and became my Abacus Guru.

He initially drew an Abacus on a piece of paper. And when it was becoming a little painful, we concluded that we needed an Abacus. And assumed that there is likely to be a digital Abacus avaiulable for the iPad. And of course it was. Not one but several. We picked one.

My Abacus Guru started his classes by defining what he was going to teach me. He made 3 levels and for each level there would be a short lesson, 2 example problems he would do with me, 4 problems I had to do as a test and then an exam with 10+ questions.



At the end of the 2 hour training, I had learnt to use the Abacus. And could finally cross off yet another item from my bucket list.

And for that a huge Thank You to my Abacus Guru, Aaron.

And for those of you who do not have your own personal Abacus Guru, you can start with this YouTube.

The Abacus - How to Use This Ancient Wonder


1 comment:

  1. It was such a amazing post to read. Post more blog about the education of abacus for the kids. Also visi us on stream classes
    Online Reading Classes

    ReplyDelete