Sunday, December 9, 2018

Learning to shoot

One of the things I've wanted to do was to hold a gun and see what shooting feels like. And this was one of the items that appeared on my bucket list. A couple of weeks ago, Reia peeked at the list and decided to help me complete it. She found a shooting range that had a shooting class and called them for details. They had a class on the 9th. It was $200 and there were spots available. I signed up.


The class was at the Fairfield County Firearms & Archery in Norwalk. I arrived at 8.45 not knowing what to expect. I was hoping that we would actually use guns and shoot a couple of rounds.
https://fcfaa.com/

Our instructor was Bill who had been shooting for over 50 years. And teaching for over 30. The session was divided into 3 sections. The classroom session. A written exam with a 90% requirement for passing followed by a shooting of 55 cartridges using 3 different guns, of which 20+ had to hit the bulls eye.


I was petrified. The silver lining was that I was not alone. The other 5 participants looked equally nervous. Bill tried reassuring us that it was going to be okay and we would do okay.

The classroom session was one of the most hands-on classroom session I've ever attended. In addition to the theory, there was a hands-on demo cum training session for each part. We handled 3 sets of guns 3 times. The 1st was learning to hold, loading blanks, and unloading. The 2nd was receiving a gun safely, dry firing, making the gun safe and passing to another person. And the 3rd time was learning to aim and shoot.


The written exam was not difficult but not easy either. Bill had warned us to listen carefully and make notes. It was an open book exam and the course book and notes were helpful in answering the exam. There were 50 questions, a combination of multiple choice and True or False. I managed to get 98%, which means I passed.

And then was the main event. Live shooting at the range. Bill was testing 2 people at a time in the range. And as 1 finished, the next would go in. 3 of the participants had shooting experience and made their targets easily. The other 2 were new but did well. I was the last person in, and was super nervous.



Once in the range, I managed to load the magazine and shot the first cartridge. And the second. And the third. And with each shot, I was getting a little less nervous. 3 guns and 55 cartridges later, I had completed the firing. The target was retracted. And the instructor counted the ones outside to see if I managed the minimum bullseye of 20 required. I had done it. And got the "Basics of Pistol Shooting" Certificate.


If you're interested, you should check out
https://fcfaa.com/pistol-permit

No comments:

Post a Comment