Sunday, October 13, 2019

Philly - The City of Brotherly Love



Last week Reia moved to Philly to start on her new and first real job. And since I was nearby, we drove down with her to the "City of Brotherly Love".
http://www.ushistory.org/us/4c.asp

The first time I heard of Philly almost 20 years ago, was when along with my brothers Don and Frank, we visited our cousin Vanitha who lived nearby. Don who was a foodie even then, and wanted to have an authentic "Philly Cheese Steak". Vanitha said she knew the perfect place and off we went. After driving round in circles, for over an hour, we landed up in a mall. And the rest is history. Suffice to say, Don wasn't happy. For years. Make that decades.


So my first advice to Reia was that when Don visits, tell him you have no idea of the local places and can he please choose.

I subsequently also visited Philly with my sister Mabel so she wouldn't feel left out and this time we once again had "Philly Cheese Steak". This time too the expert on the subject Vanitha was consulted and she engaged a local to give a recommendation. And while it wasn't Awesome, it was a notch above the mall.


While exploring where to go in Philly, I found a recommendation video, which showcases the city and its amazing places. While I've been to many of them, I plan to go with Reia to each of these over the next few years, since I expect to be visiting the city not infrequently.


And finally, how can a blog on Philly not reference "Philadelphia", a path-breaking and possibly the first mainstream Hollywood movie to "... acknowledge HIV/AIDS, homosexuality and homophobia."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_(film)

And the iconic "Streets of Philadelphia" song in the movie by Bruce Springsteen.


No comments:

Post a Comment