Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Weights over - Finally !

6 months ago, on July 31st, I had a bet that I'd lose 10 kgs by Jan 31st. And as posted in an earlier blog made an elaborate plan to achieve the same. Unfortunately like most plans, this plan served just 1 purpose. To know that it wasn't followed.

On the 1st of October, whilst leaving the US for India I was still weighing the same. With just 4 months to go, I was exactly where I started. Fortunately so was Frank. Who too had to lose 10 kgs. Both of us made the usual threats to each other that we would make it. And were probably as serious as we were when we first made the bet.

Back home, I was craving Indian food and went for a few awesome buffet lunches and dinners. I always loved eating good food and a couple of marriages gave even more opportunities. By the end of the month, I had managed to add yet another kilo and so now had 3 months and 11 kilos to lose. It now seemed an impossible task. I couldn't afford to lose, and so my only hope seemed to be Frank not making it either.

That week Frank called. And had a story to sell. He claimed that medically it wasn't good for him to lose 10 kgs, and could we reduce it to 7. Having used health, it was kinda difficult to refuse, and being the fool I am, I agreed. He was expecting a reluctance or at the least a renegotiation of my weight drop. Neither happened. And so, he offered that I too could lose 7 instead of 10 or now 11. At that very moment, I decided that this bet was one that I needed to win. And so I politely declined.

The very next day, I created a brand new plan. One that I was determined to follow. And for a change I decided to use common sense and my own customized program instead of the hundreds of weight loss programs floating around.

I started this program in mid November. And exactly 2 and a half months later, I had lost 11 kgs or 24 lbs. It feels good. In the last 1 month Frank has been following my progress on a regular basis. And he too will probably make it. One of the few occasions when I'll be happy not to have won.



And for all of you looking for the secret recipe for success, let me share the secret. There is no secret recipe. Its simple mathematics. Burn more calories than you consume and you'll lose weight. Here are the 10 golden rules I followed. They got fine-tuned over a 10 week period. And worked for me. Don't follow them blindly. Experiment. And fine tune. And use the rules that work for you. And for once I sincerely hope you'll lose.

1. Target
Have a definite target weight and a period within which to achieve it.

2. Measurement
The 1st thing to do is invest in a digital weighing machine (Around Rs. 450). And weigh yourself every day. It doesn't allow for convenient readings.

3. Exercise
Sweat it our for at least 1 hour, at least 5 times a week. You could use a gym, or take a brisk walk. You should be able to do around 6 kms in an hour.

4. Breakfast
Eat a filling breakfast. All Indian foods are good. You can also have Muesli or Oats.

5. Lunch
Eat a moderate lunch. Chapathis and vegetables work well.

6. Snacks
You can have a few snacks in between meals. Fruits are ideal.

7. Dinner
Soups and salads. Avoid bread, chapathis, et al.

8. Rice
Avoid. I assume brown rice will be better than white. But if you can manage, avoid even that.

9. Drinks
Drink plenty of water. For some like me, who keep forgetting, just drink 2 litres first thing in the morning. And avoid tea and coffee. And if like me, you're addicted, then try green tea, or tea without sugar.

10. Dessert - The Grand Finale
Have once. After you've achieved your target weight.


p.s.: I won. And lost. Although I made it, so did Frank. Which means I get nothing. Wait a minute. I lost 11 kgs. And feel good. I did win after all. Don't they say "Health is Wealth."

No comments:

Post a Comment