Sunday, May 5, 2013

McDonalds - Like it. Hate it. Can't ignore it.

Whenever we discuss going out for a meal, the first suggestion made when I'm around is McDonalds. It a way to joke about my known preference for the fast food giant, largely unpopular amongst the middle and upper class of Americans.


The primary grouse against fast food restaurants is that they are unhealthy and responsible for all the ill health that is prevalent. To begin with, no one got obese by eating sensibly at fast food restaurants. It might have helped, but what made them obese was their inability to being sensible in their food habits. Everything done in excess has a negative impact.


As far as I'm concerned I do like McDonald's. And find that they are responding to creating healthy alternatives. You have salads, low calorie sandwiches and now even egg white breakfast sandwiches.


However, what I like most about McDonalds is the fact that even in 2013 they have managed to maintain the dollar menu. Every time I visit a McDonalds I'm choked to see several proud people, many of them elderly having the dollar menu sandwiches and a large cup of coffee, for 2 bucks. In these economically challenging times its heartening to see a recognizable restaurant that is also affordable. The McDonalds dollar menu has made it affordable for millions to get a meal at a price that is relatively inexpensive.


But what makes me a McDonalds fan is not the cost effectiveness and affordability. Truth be told, on most occasions I only visit McDonalds for their coffee. Any size. Just 1 buck. And that to me is great value. But more importantly irrespective of the cost, its the quality of the coffee that makes me visit them. I truly enjoy the coffee. Believe it or not, I think its better than Dunkin and Starbucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment