Sunday, March 8, 2015

A capella

Yesterday Reia got me to view a Hindi song on YouTube which was sung by a Middle Eastern person. It sounded awesome. The interesting part was that there was no instruments used and the singer had provided all of the music himself with a combination of vocal sounds, clapping, tapping his body, ...

I was fascinated and asked Reia what this was. She looked at me as if I had just landed from Mars and said "A capella". I looked it up and this is what Wikipedia has to say about A cappella.


"A cappella (Italian for "in the manner of the church" or "in the manner of the chapel") music is specifically group or solo singing without instrumental accompaniment, or a piece intended to be performed in this way. It contrasts with cantata, which is accompanied singing."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_cappella

Here are my favorite 5 A capella pieces.

This is my favorite, mainly because it was my first. The performer, the extremely talented Alaa Wardi.



A collaboration between Alaa Wardi & Peter Hollens. All you can say is Jai Ho !



I realized that Peter Hollens has a zillion A capella releases. MY favorite, the "Epic Disney Medley" with Alex G.



My all time favorite band ABBA. And so the ABBA A capella by Perpetuum Jazzile naturally makes it to this list.



And there's an International Championship of Collegiate A Capella (ICCA). Here are the 2014 champs.

No comments:

Post a Comment