Sunday, March 1, 2015

What color is that ?


A couple of days ago Reia showed me a image of a dress and asked me what color it was. I said it was White and Gold. She asked me to look again and said it was Blue and Black. I tried and it looked exactly the same. White and Gold.


The image and the dress went viral. And in addition to the social media the regular media also picked it up. CNN had an article on it with an explanation of how and why different people were seeing different colors in the same dress.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/27/health/science-of-gold-blue-dress/index.html

It was fascinating to know that our concept of "I saw it with my own eyes" is not only relative, it may neither be true nor accurate. Perception is reality takes on a whole new meaning.

Beau Lotto's TED Talk "Optical illusions show how we see" is an eye opener. Literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment