Sunday, June 28, 2015

Reia Graduates: Finally and with a sense of humor

Saturday 20th June was one of the most important days of Reia's life. And mine. 3 years ago when we moved to the US, we weren't very sure what school had in store for Reia. Both of us had very little expectations and were prepared that things may not work out.



Saturday proved that our concerns and fear were ill founded. Not only did Reia graduate, she managed to get honors in each of the 12 quarters she did at her now alma mater "Wilton High School". We know and acknowledge that this does not reflect Reia's or her parents, (read Dad) efforts, but rather the amazing set of teachers and staff at Wilton High School. Thank You.


But I digress. This blog was not about her graduation. But what happened after. As luck would have it, Reia's graduation photograph was on the front-page of the Wilton Villager, the town newspaper.


Reia sent all of us the following e-mail.
"
Subject: Look me, look me

Cover page of the Wilton villager = Cover page of Times of India, so I'm basically on the cover page of Times of India. If you want to speak to me now you have to contact my agent I'll attach her contact details below.

It was nice knowing you common men but now that I've got my big break, Adios.

spicebeth_boom@yahoo.co.uk ( that's my agents email)
"


Freia, responded with a Facebook post aka Freia's Newspaper
"

BREAKING NEWS --- REIA LOBO GRADUATES HIGH SCHOOL!!!!

Contrary to the expectations of the town and the fears of her parents, Wilton resident Reia Lobo (18, right) graduated from Wilton High School. Lobo, a recent immigrant from India didn't speak much English but studied hard while simultaneously working and keeping up with many TV shows. Her parents could not be reached for comment.

"

And not to be outdone, Reia responded with:
"
I would like to thank my mother, father and sister Freia Lisa Lobo for always bringing me down and telling me I couldn't do it. It really helped my self esteem. I would also like to thank the Kardashians for teaching me English and for letting me keep up with them. Last but not the least I would like to thank my 7th grade math teacher for giving me 12 out of 80 and making me leave and go to the U.S
"



And finally: To Reia and Freia, from me

"
Its great that you'll graduated High School, but its even greater that you'll found a sense of humor. Keep laughing and the world will laugh with you. Cry and even I might not be there :-)
"

No comments:

Post a Comment