Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Debate over Rascism

Lately the debate over Racism in America has become heated and just as the debate seems to wane a bit, another incident takes place, that brings it back at the fore-front.


I've been a guest of the American people for several years and have spent a significant amount of time in the last 3 years. I've traveled and worked in over 25 countries and have no hesitation in saying that the Americans have been the most welcoming and friendly with the least amount of discrimination.

I was therefore of the opinion that just because a few random individuals committed heinous acts that cannot be justified, a complete group of people be accused and held responsible. This seemed extremely unfair, especially since it was my opinion that the large majority, like you and me stood alongside the grieving families, filled with sympathy and hope that tragedies such as these would not happen again.


I thought of these as isolated incidences which we should look at reducing if not completely eliminating by a higher level of policing and other effective measures such as enhanced background checks for gun ownership.

I decided to check some of my thoughts and was amazed to find that not many people seemed to share my point of view. I'm giving below some of the points of view I found that were interesting, compelling and sometimes disturbing.


Jon Stewart and Trevor Noah Compare Racism in America Versus Africa



Kids speak their minds about race
In CNN's Anderson Cooper's special report, kids give honest feedback on racial and social issues.



The Huffington Post has almost 50 articles that directly and specifically address the issue.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/racism-in-america/


PBS has an extremely thought provoking article on the subject - The hidden racism of young white Americans
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/americas-racism-problem-far-complicated-think/



After going through all of the above, I'm no longer absolutely sure of my own thoughts on the subject. I still believe that an overwhelming majority of Americans are non racist and believe in the inalienable rights of "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" given to all human beings.

It seems like I'm wrong, since not too many non-white Americans seem to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment