Sunday, October 11, 2015

Lesson learnt from a Mumbai street cleaner

Earlier this week I had an interesting and unbelievable experience. Ivy dropped me for a client meeting at Nariman Point in South Mumbai at around 8.30. At that point of time it had very few people and the City Workers were cleaning the streets.


As I said Bye, I realized that I did not have my wallet. I immediately assumed that I must have left it at home. I asked Ivy for some money, so I could get back to office.

At that time, one of the cleaning workers walked up to me and checked, "Kya yeh aap ka hai". (Is this yours ?"). He was holding my wallet. You could clearly see a reasonably large amount of money. I said Yes, and before I could thank him, he had walked away.


I was still kind of lost trying to fathom what just happened. What could have been a tragedy or at the very least a painful cancellation and reinstatement process since the wallet had my credit cards, drivers licenses, money, ... just became yet another normal day.

In my stupor, I walked towards my clients office. And then I realized that I had forgotten to do what matters most. Genuinely and adequately thank the folk who were responsible for making a really miserable day into an amazing one. I walked back and after some searching finally located the person who had found my wallet. After profusely thanking him, I offered him some money as a reward. He refused to take it, and said, "You have thanked me, that in itself is reward enough".


I learnt one of life's most valuable lessons. To do the right thing, without any expectations and being happy when you get a small Thank You, will make you a very happy person. After all, isn't life about being Happy.

I also learnt that those who have, want more, and those who don't are happy with the little they do have.

To Santosh and all the millions like him, Thank you for being the way you are in spite of the zillion hurdles life keeps throwing at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment