Sunday, September 30, 2012

Getting a Great Deal on a Car

I bought a car yesterday. And during the 2 weeks I was finding the right car learnt a few interesting lessons. Finding the right car isn't easy. But getting a great deal is.I managed to save almost $2,000 on a car that cost under $20,000. And the best part is that I had to do very little.


I stumbled upon the savings completely by chance. I wanted to test drive a Honda and so visited a Honda dealer. I test drove the car and quite liked it. Unfortunately the attitude of the sales person left a lot to be desired. And the pricing being offered seemed to be unreasonable.


Wanting to get a better deal I looked for dealers and deals on the internet. And stumbled upon a couple of sites. They all promised to get the best and cheapest quotes from dealers near you. I had already finalized the car, the model and the color. All I needed was a price.

I put the details in the online forms of a couple of sites and in under an hour I started receiving quotes from around 3 - 5 dealers per site. They also had representatives calling me which was kind of irritating, but worth the savings.


I negotiated further with each of them, not only on the price but also on the financing and finally went and purchased it from the dealer who gave me the best deal. And this minor investment of a couple of hours saved me a couple of thousand compared to the deal I had got when I had walked into the showroom.

I later found that even CNN has an article on getting the best deal.
http://articles.cnn.com/2008-08-20/living/aa.car.buying.tactics_1_dealership-new-car-trade-in-value?_s=PM:LIVING

And now I wonder if this will work for houses ?

No comments:

Post a Comment