Sunday, March 9, 2014

Imagine Dragons

Yesterday, my daughters Freia and Reia attended an Imagine Dragons concert at the IZOD Center in New Jersey. They had booked the tickets a few months and Reia who wasn't a great fan had even learnt all the Imagine Dragon songs.

As I was driving them to the concert, they were super excited. It was Freia and Reia's first concert and they were going alone. Or maybe that was the excitement. They were attending a concert without any chaperone.


During the ride I realized that I could now be officially called Old. I had no idea who Imagine Dragons were and their music hadn't touched my ears. On the journey I was given an education on Imagine Dragons and various other currently famous, or in modern terms, Trending.


I wanted to close the gap in my complete lack of knowledge of the current music trends. And went to the experts. My daughters. Could they educate me on the latest trends in Music. They chose the easy way out. Told me where I could find what I was looking for. On the Billboard charts.

Believe it or not, some things never change. 30+ years ago when I was their age, we followed trends and enjoyed our music from Billboard. Billboards Top 40. The source was the same. The media had changed. From the radio and cassettes, to TV, CD's, digital and on-line. And it seems to be as popular today as it was a decades ago.


After the concert, I picked them up. And they were ecstatic. It was as if they had won the lottery. I didn't have to ask them what happened. They started speaking and didn't stop for the next hour till we got home. The concert had 2 opening acts. Which they liked and enjoyed. And the Imagine Dragons concert was awesome. They were on Cloud 9 and enjoyed every minute singing along and having a great time.

And after the concert, while they were waiting for me, an unbelievable thing happened. I was late. That was believable. And while waiting for me, the Imagine Dragon group walked out. Not too many people around. And Freia and Reia spotted them. And ran up and asked if they could get a photograph with them. And since they couldn't get a selfie, they got them to click the photos. Not 1. Not 2. But 5.


Reia summed it up brilliantly. They are so famous. And yet so nice. I don't think I would be half as nice if I was half as famous. And maybe that's one of the secrets of their success. Awesome music. Awesomer human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment