Sunday, March 30, 2014

Reia gets her license

Friday was the day Reia had been waiting for a very long time. The day of her driving test. She wanted to get here license before she turned 17, which will be on April 2. Her primary motivation to come to the US was that you could get your Learners permit at 16. And she did just that. Got it on her 16th birthday.


The last few weeks Reia has been working really hard. In addition to driving to school, she's been making me take her for parking practice almost every day. And on weekends she makes me take her for long drives, including on highways and parkways. For someone who doesn't get up until noon on holidays, she has been waking up at 7 in the morning. And making me a cup of tea so that I wake up and take her driving.

She has been driving and parking quite well, probably better that me. Nevertheless she was very nervous about the test. She kept the test a secret from not only her friends, but also her Mom. She didn't want them to know she was taking it, just in case she didn't get her license. And a couple of days before the exam, she had a driving lesson in Danbury All Star. And it was in a Mustang. She was excited. And happy. Yet nervous.


On the day of her test, she drove to school in the morning. I picked her up at 10 for her test scheduled at 11.15. She had initially wanted to drive to her test, but I managed to convince her that she shouldn't stress herself and that driving there wouldn't help. Her argument was that the more you practice, the better you become. To which I countered saying, True, but not on the day of the test, and gave her examples of exams and athletic meets and ... She reluctantly agreed, probably to shut me up.

We arrived around 15 minutes ahead of time, and as we walked in to the All Star School, where the test was being conducted. We saw a girl giving her test pulling into the lot, and her mother anxiously trying to get an idea of the result. A few minutes later the DMV inspector walked in and when asked about the girl coming in, said she wouldn't be and walked out with the next candidate.


Reia was now petrified. Not only had the girl failed, the DMV inspector was tall with a beard and a gruff look and didn't appear friendly. I told her, and I believe it, that scary looking people are the nice ones and its the nice and sweet ones that you need to be scared of.

In the meanhwhile, the All Star Supervisor gave what he called his 1 dollar tips on taking the test and it served the intended purpose of putting the candidate at ease. Reia asked him a question. How many people have passed today? And how many have failed? He was hesitating in answering, but finally came up with what I think may have been a white lie. "9 out of the 11 have passed and of the 2 who failed, one drove across a red light and the second could not park." Reia was a little more comfortable.


Soon, it was her turn. And she drove away with the Inspector. I have been in several tough situations and have taken zillions of exams. But I've never been as nervous as I was today. I actually prayed really hard that Reia pass. And I had an exam I was taking that evening. And the deal I was willing to make was that, it was okay if I fail. As long as Reia passed. After all of the effort and hard work, she had put in, she deserved to pass. Probably for the first time in her 16 years.

15 minutes later, she was back, with the result paper in her hand. And her face was a combination of a smile and tears. She didn't know whether she had passed or failed, as the examiner had forgotten to mark that part on the form. The supervisor couldn't figure it out either and walked out to check with the examiner.

The supervisor walked in with a grin. And announced, "You've passed". And thats when the half smiling tearful face lit up with joy and had a smile all the way to the moon. Reia had finally achieved her primary mission of moving to the US. Getting a license before turning 17, and before her Didi (elder sister).


Congratulations Reia. Put in equal effort in everything you do, and I'm willing to bet every dime I have, that you will succeed in Life, beyond your wildest expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment