Sunday, December 8, 2019

Climate Change

It's always assumed that older people are mature and wise and responsible. And the younger group of people are immature, unwise and irresponsible. This is a stereotype that our grandparents had about their kids, our parents had about us and that most of us have about our kids.

I've always been surprised to find that this is untrue about the current generation of younger people which includes my kids, my nephews and nieces, my younger colleagues and most of the younger people I know either directly or indirectly.


And the one place in which this is obvious is Climate Change. I know that I've done very little about it. And don't know any of my relatives or friends who've done much. Even more worrying is that we haven't even thought about it.

At the same time I do know that a lot of the younger generation have been vocal about it and some of them have even done things to make a difference. The people I know have not yet done anything to make a major difference. But I'm a firm believer of "a little is better that nothing". And even if they're vocal about it, which very few of us were, they are definitely doing a better job than us.


The understanding of what's climate change, how it impacts us and what can we do about it has mostly been mired in political debate. The truth is that there is no real scientific debate on the subject. Most serious scientists are in agreement about the broad facts, the impact and possible solutions to slow down the impact.

Do have a look at 2 of the many amazing talks on Climate Change. It's made a difference to me. And in small ways doing the little I can. I hope you do too.

Why I must speak out about climate change
James Hansen
February 2012

Top climate scientist James Hansen tells the story of his involvement in the science of and debate over global climate change. In doing so he outlines the overwhelming evidence that change is happening and why that makes him deeply worried about the future.



The state of the climate — and what we might do about it
Lord Nicholas Stern
September 2014

How can we begin to address the global, insidious problem of climate change — a problem that's too big for any one country to solve? Economist Nicholas Stern lays out a plan, presented to the UN's Climate Summit in 2014, showing how the world's countries can work together on climate. It's a big vision for cooperation, with a payoff that goes far beyond averting disaster. He asks: How can we use this crisis to spur better lives for all?


No comments:

Post a Comment