Sunday, March 1, 2020

SmartPhone Addiction !

A few days ago, while I was pulling out of our condo driveway, a young lady almost walked into my car. I braked while she continued walking. Not noticing what happened and intensely focussed on what she was doing. Interacting with her phone. She probably has no idea that she came very close to being hit.


I thought about this and realized that almost everybody, especially younger people seem to have the phone as an extended part of their body. It reminded me of an incident that happened a few months ago when all 4 of us (Ivy, Freia, Reia and me) were in Mumbai. The kids asked me how much time I estimated I spent on the phone. I estimated 2 hrs. They checked the phone time tracker and delightedly announced it was upwards of 6.


I was dismayed. The fact that a lot of that was on apps while I was walking or driving such as audiobooks and music and podcasts made it better. But only slightly better. I thought to myself that I need to change this. And promptly forgot all about it. Until earlier this week.

There were several smartphone-related incidents that kept coming up in newspapers. And the phenomenon was a global once. And India had its own share of problems.


It wasn't surprising to find that there are several "Smartphone Addictions Tests". And it wasn't surprising that I failed all of them. And I'm probably in the lower half of smartphone users.

You can check out the tests and see how you perform.

https://virtual-addiction.com/smartphone-compulsion-test/

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nomophobia-smartphone-sep_n_7266468


While we can do nothing about the past, we certainly can modify behavior going forward. Which I intend to.

Here are 2 interesting articles that discuss the issue.

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/addictions/smartphone-addiction.htm

https://www.health.com/condition/anxiety/cell-phone-addiction


Here are 9 things I'm going to practice. (Or at least try.)

1. The primary use of a phone is to receive and make calls. Make that its primary use.

2. Use the phone for social apps such as WhatsApp just 4 times a day (Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night).

3. When engaged in any activity have the phone face down and only take work-related or urgent calls.

4. Cap non-activity phone usage (other than exercising, driving, ...) to 2 hours a day.

5. Keep the phone away when interacting with others, at work, and with friends & family.

6. Keep the phone away during meals.

7. Keep the phone away 15 minutes before going to sleep.

8. Keep the phone away 15 minutes after waking up.

And finally,
9. Have a "No Phone Day" once a month.


No comments:

Post a Comment